Assiduous Respiratory Therapy (take two)

She drew back the curtains with all the care that wasn't in the world.
She had to keep trying. To restart his breathing.

The air was so thick with the calligraphy they had
forced out of him. She uncurled it and admired it.
All things considered, it was still exquisite.

He sensed she had had a new idea. And when he saw her silhouette,
he sat bolt up right, smiling.

image from Pexels.com

18 thoughts on “Assiduous Respiratory Therapy (take two)

1. Gina says:

fantasy meets with scientific discovery, a modern day fairy tale, where the surrealism is used brilliantly, i love the use of calligraphy here Vanessa, it makes me think of an ill spirit, renewed with a gentle touch. i can read this over and over and each time feel something different! wonderful writing!

1. saynotoclowns says:

I love hearing your thoughts!
      The original had a little more detail but I decided to leave this a little more enigmatic, but it is amazing what love can do to revive tired souls 🙂 Plus, there just seems to be so much ugliness everywhere, I needed an antidote today.

Thank you so much!

Liked by 1 person

1. Gina says:

i know V, too much ugliness from selfish actions, I feel it too. between reality and fantasy, love will find its true meaning, sometimes i feel people are only amused for awhile, the real love stays on for all the seasons. as i said before you are the cure for so many ailments – your writing is such a balm

Liked by 1 person

2. Mia Pharaoh says:

Dear Vanessa, gorgeous story, beautifully sensitive, there’s so much admiration/reverence between the “she and he”. I’m enjoying your creativity, much to contemplate, thank you. Please have a lovely Saturday.

Liked by 1 person

1. saynotoclowns says:

Hi Mia!
      Thank you so much! I’m honoured you think so.
      The first version had a little more detail about the price of art (accompanied by a song) but I still had the same first line…I looked for a photo to go with it and found this beautiful one which changed the ending a little as well. The title, being an acronym for “Art” was because I was pondering the definition etc.

And thank you, I have had. I hope the same for your weekend.

Liked by 1 person

3. Mia Pharaoh says:

Hi Vanessa, you’re so very welcome. Isn’t interesting how pieces change, take shape and come to life during the process? Your thoughtfulness and layering adds so much depth to your work. Thank you for the kind weekend wishes!

Liked by 1 person

4. erroneouschoices says:

I loved it. 😍
    Reminded me of two things, one thing I changed in the way I write was taking out too many descriptors or details. I work really hard against that natural proclivity and try to keep things more ambiguous or unexplained like this, more to the imagination. It’s tough for me 😳
    Secondly, have you seen the series OA? Reminds me of that

Liked by 1 person

1. saynotoclowns says:

Thank you! I am so glad you loved it.
      Your details and descriptors are always so beautiful and brilliant, I think that however you do it, is always amazing.

And no, I have never seen OA. We don’t have Netflix…I’m a little worried it will take too much of my time…but someone else has suggested that show to me a while ago. I might have to check it out.

hi. friendly banter is always welcome.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s